Friday, November 23, 2007

What Makes An Effective Teacher?


Entry One:

How do you know if a teacher is qualified to teacher? What do we consider an effective teacher? I asked some people what they considered an effective teacher to get an idea of the answer to these questions.

I interviewed about 20 students from elementary to college age. Of all the answers I received their was one that was above all, a teacher that cares. Students seemed to believe that to be an effective teacher you have to care about your students and their progress in school. The answer that came in second was a teacher that knows something about what they are teaching.

While interviewing students I asked them 5 questions. I asked what do you think makes an effective teacher? Who was your favorite teacher? Why were they your favorite teacher? Who was your least favorite teacher? Why were they your least favorite teacher?

After asking these questions it became obvious that most students liked teachers that were interesting and fun and that they didn't like teachers that had some distinct dislike to them. Students didn't seem to say anything about mediocre teachers. For example they said things like I liked so and so because she was interesting and made class more exciting. And they didn't like so and so because they were boring and just lectured. I never had an answer about liking a teacher that taught to the book and didn't do any interesting projects.

I believe an effective teacher is caring, smart, interesting, supportive, able to listen, able to make fun of themselves, a story teller, and someone who is funny. I got my answer from students opinions as well as my own.


Entry Two:

I also asked my father what he believed made an effective teacher. My father is a high school teacher. He teaches business, German, math, computer technology, English, business law, and German literature. My father has been teaching for 35 years. I have had the privilege to watch him work as well as talk to students that had him. My father believes that an effective teacher is one that can get through to their students and teach them something that leaves a lasting impression in their lives. He believes that an effective teacher has to be smarted, interested, and willing to put a lot of time and effort into what they teach.

I have learned a lot from this experience. I have learned that teaching is something that has a lot of influence on everyone. I believe that being a teacher is more than just knowledge but is about being a caring person who believes in their students and is willing to go the extra mile for anyone.

No comments: