Friday, November 23, 2007

Practice Being Democratic

Entry One:

As a teacher it is important to speak up for equality and diversity. I have begun to find my voice and have begun practicing working to what is right. It hasn't been an easy road and it won't get easier but it is what I need to do as a future teacher.

I have experienced many racist comments in the past few months and it has been extremely difficult to speak up against them but I know it was needed. I know that I needed to do what I did in each of these examples.

The other day at dinner I was standing in line waiting for pizza. While standing there I overheard the conversation between two guys in front of me. The one was being extremely racist talking about African American men that live next door to him. He was talking about "their music" and "their living habits" and then called them "a bunch of stupid n*****" I refused to stand there and let him get away with that type of language so I asked him "When did you hear that as Americans we were allowed to every use that word?" I confront him in a democratic way about how I did not appreciate his language and I felt that if he had those opinions could he be so kind as to keep them to himself.

This was only one of many ways that I confronted racist remarks. Some were even said within my group of friends. It was difficult to confront someone I knew but I did it anyway. I am a strong believer in equality and I hate when people stereotype and say things about people in a degrading way.

When I become a teacher I know that it is extremely important for me to confront my students when and if they make unacceptable remarks about anyone. The one thing I do know is that approaching a child is a lot different than approaching an adult. I plan on taking a different path when talking with a student if they make a comment that is not democratic. Instead of confronting a child like I would an adult I would calmly take them aside to discuss why their comment was not a good choice and try to find a way to work with what they were thinking. As a teacher I need to remember that my students are not adults and cannot be dealt with the same way.

Entry Two:

Throughout my time at Goshen College I have learned that I can be very overpowering in a conversation. Many of my good friends tell me that they can barely get a word in edgewise or they are cut off while speaking. I realize that my upbringing and social status play a large role in why I feel so comfortable controlling a conversation and putting in my two cents. After hearing about my occasionally ability to overpower I began to think about what I was saying and doing in class and I realized how important what others had to say was. Throughout my last few semesters I have stepped back and I have made it my goal to listen more than I speak and to only speak when I know I am not stepping over anyone else to get heard. I know that in some contexts it is important to be a bit pushy and demanding but it is also important to give everyone a chance and to listen if I want to be heard. With this new goal I will continue to challenge myself in every situation I encounter.

No comments: